The Anatomy of a Superstar Squash Player
To be a superstar at any sport, as with anything in life, there are two major components one must possess: talent and an extreme passion for what they are doing. Without the combination of these, one will never fully succeed.
To be a superstar squash player, the rules are no different. One must have the drive and passion to succeed and the talent to get them there. But success for an athlete incorporates the whole body in order to achieve the success to be considered a superstar.
The Anatomy of a Superstar Squash Player Broken Down
1. Head – It is widely known that the sport of squash is 50% physical and 50% mental. Not only do you require a strong want to succeed, you need the emotional and mental capabilities. You need to be able to handle whatever happens on the court. In the same aspect, to be really good, you need to be able to anticipate where the ball is going to land and envision where you want to hit it to in order to surprise your opponent and score points. This is not a mindless sport. You need to be 100% focused at all times and a superstar squash player spends many hours mentally preparing for their next match.
2. Heart – This one almost goes without saying. You need to have the heart to play and succeed. Period. If your heart is not in it, you will never be a superstar, regardless of how talented you are. Being a superstar squash player does not happen overnight. It takes many years of hardcore training and studying and competing in order to be exceptional. If you do not have the drive and want to play, then you are not going to put your all in every time you hit the court. Therefore, you can never be a superstar.
3. Body – Let’s face it, this sport is extreme and to be a superstar, your physical abilities must also be extreme. In order to succeed you have to be in great shape and able to move around the court with ease. It is a high cardiovascular workout every time your shoes hit the court. When you are not playing, you are training to make sure you have the endurance to play hard during your next match. Staying in great shape also helps eliminate injuries, which can be major setbacks in the game if they happen.
If you have these qualities, you are well on your way to becoming a superstar squash player. However, here are other qualities a superstar squash player must also possess in order to be great.
Other Important Qualities of a Superstar Squash Player
· Ability to Recognize When you Need a Break – While training and playing are the most important aspects of the game of squash, it is also important to recognize when you need a break. It is not recommended to play squash every day, so there should automatically be rest days built into your training schedule. However, it may be necessary to take an unscheduled rest day and superstar squash players are able to acknowledge that need. It does not make you weak, it makes you smart. Playing too often can cause injury and injury can be as little as a minor setback or as major as a career-ender. Being able to listen to your body is a top quality of a superstar squash player.
· Having Set Goals and a Plan to Reach Them – This goes far beyond just winning the next match. A superstar squash player sets lofty, not easily attainable goals and then formulates a plan to achieve them. By setting their standards very high, they are constantly striving to better themselves, a quality that every superstar athlete possesses. Great squash players know that it may take many years to reach their ultimate goals, but they aren’t afraid to work toward them every day, knowing someday they will get there.
· Focus – Focus goes hand-in-hand with setting goals. A superstar squash player needs to be able to focus on the game itself and nothing else while playing. It is a common saying that when you go to work you leave your personal life at the door. The same goes for playing competitive squash. The only thing you should be thinking about while on the court is your strategies for playing the game. Great squash players are able to do this and it is a key in why they are able to be so successful.
· Talent and the Drive to Get Better – Unfortunately no matter how hard you want it, you have to have the talent and skills to be great. Without the skills necessary you can never succeed. Superstar squash players train hard, attend camps, work with trainers and coaches and do whatever they need to improve their game. If you aren’t constantly improving, you are not going to be successful.
Do You Have What It Takes?
The question is do you have what it takes to be a superstar squash player? Is your body made up of what is required to be a great squash athlete? If you have the qualifications needed above then the answer is yes, you do have what it takes to be a superstar!